Vagrant Muse

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

No legalisation of prostitution in the UK

UK Home Office recants on prostitution laws.

What is it with prostitution? This piece quotes Fiona MacTaggart, the Home Office Minister, as saying:

"I'm not tolerant of the view that prostitution is the oldest profession in the world and there's nothing we can do to reduce it...We will take a zero tolerance approach to kerb crawling. Men who choose to use prostitutes are indirectly supporting drug dealers and abusers."


Well, perhaps if the industry was legalised it wouldn't need to associate with the black markets of the world, huh? I mean, is that no blindingly obvious to just about anyone?

Where does the government (this one, and previous ones) get off telling people what they can do with their own bodies anyway? For me, personally, sex is about expressing an emotional connection, I'm not looking for something to do on a Saturday before the football starts, but I know that I don't speak for everyone in that.

I sell my intellect on a daily basis, I put my physical talents (in this case typing and lifting) to use for financial remuneration, and put up with contemptible idiots for cash. It's called work. Prostitution is just another use of a human body for money, if the individuals in question choose not to involve their emotions.

This is just another closet religious convention written into statute with no justification offered at all, let alone a reasonable one. There can be no moral qualm with prostitution in a state that claims to offer freedom of the individual - it's a personal choice to take part in a transaction between two people. The only place the government can intercede rightfully, is if it chooses to tax the income.

Perhaps, then, value added tax will actually have a meaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home