Vagrant Muse

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Where's he been?

... nowhere, really. I've been right here, thinking that nothing much has been happening.

But it has!

I went to Stonehenge (again), but actually got inside the compound this time, and went on the tour round the stones - it's an eerie place. It sends the same shiver down my spine I got the first time I read the American Declaration of Independence, and when I saw the spot in HMS Victory where Nelson died... something that's somehow significant, in the grand scheme of things.

And I got a new job. Sort of... My manager's retiring at the start of May, so they advertised his job (six years ago when I started it was on the understanding that I'd sort of gradually take over, but plans have changed, obviously!) and I applied.

Except, it wasn't quite his job - I was prepared to take the extra bits and pieces, it looked like an interesting challenge, and what I do is, frankly, box-checkingly dull and simple. I didn't get it, but I did get a promotion to a sort of half-way stage between what I was doing, and what was advertised.

So I'm not exactly sure where it fits in with what the new guy - the one that did get the job, which was then changed once he'd been given it - does, but we'll have to see. He seems like a nice enough guy, anyway, so we'll work on it.

He describes himself as 'a fixer, not a maintainer' so my initial impression is that he doesn't see himself being here for the long-haul - I can live with that. I prove myself capable with this increased load, maybe I'll have better luck when he jumps ship?

So, something's happened... but not much :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home